Gin's had a change of fortune in recent years and is now very popular with all ages. Here are a few tips on how to serve the perfect gin and tonic:
- To server, the perfect gin and tonic you must first start with the ideal glass, a Copa, red wine glass or tumbler are all good G&T glasses.
- Pop the glass in the freezer for around 30 minutes.
- Top the glass up with lots of ice. If you don't have ice, then pop the gin in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
- The perfect ratio is one part gin to two parts tonic; you could have one to one or one to three depending on how strong you like your G&T. I use a gigger to get the measure right, though if you don't have one then an egg cup will do or a measuring jug, the approx ratio is 50ml of gin to 100ml of tonic.
- Stir well to mix the gin and tonic.
- For a hit of citrus, add a lemon twist or a wedge of lime. You may add an extra garnish with a sprig of mint from the garden.
For a different flavour instead of lemon and mint add a slice of grapefruit and a sprig of rosemary.
I suggest you use a flavourless tonic and add the flavours with the garnish.