This is a chicken curry dish I got from a magazine several years ago and the taste is sensational.
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled with a teaspoon and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ground almonds
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 4 red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 chicken breads, sliced into 1cm pieces
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4.
- Place the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and turmeric in a mortar and pestle. and grind to a fine powder.
- heat the oil in an ovenproof pan over a medium heat, add the slice onions, ginger and garlic and cook until soft. if it is burning add a little cold water. Then add the spices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add the ground almonds, coconut milk, tamarind paste, 3 of the sliced chillies and the salt. bring to boil, reduce the heat and add the chicken.
- Simmer the pan on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with rice and crispy onions.
- Add the remaining chilli slices and coriander leaves for a garnish.