Lemon and Raspberry Muffins are not just for breakfast but great for an afternoon treat. I found this, no fuss, recipe from Nigella's domestic goddess book, it is so easy, and you can eat one with a cup of tea within 20 minutes of starting.
A 12 bun muffin tray lined with 12 paper cases.
- 60g soft butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 150g raspberries
- zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 120ml milk
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, or 200°C.
- Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and the lemon zest.
- In a jug add the lemon juice and milk it should be around 200ml. It will curdle but don't worry.
- To the jug also add the beaten egg and melted butter.
- Pour these wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine into a batter. Don't worry if it is lumpy.
- Gently fold in the raspberries. (You can use frozen raspberries.)
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Use the skewer test or touch to see if the sponge springs back.
- Leave to cool in the tray, then pop them on a rack.
- Once cooled, serve with a cup of tea.