This rustic apple cake is perfect with a cup of tea.
- 175g soft butter
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 175g self-rising flour
- 1 tsp mix spice
- 3 eggs beaten
- 4 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 30g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C Fan or 160° Fan.
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs.
- Sift the flour and mix spice.
- Fold flour into the butter mixture.
- Put half the mixture into the tin and spread evenly.
- Cover with a layer of sliced apples.
- Spread the rest of the mixture over the sliced apples.
- Arrange the rest of the sliced apples on top, sprinkle with flaked almonds and the tbsp of Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked. Do the skewer test, and if it is clean, it is ready.
- Leave to cool and serve with a cup of tea.