A uncomplicated and easy rice dish to serve with the curry.
Serves 4 people.
- 1tbsp flavourless oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 cardamom pods, seeds removed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 350g basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 600ml water
- Crispy onions to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 150°C Fan or 300°F.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in an ovenproof dish.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon stick, cardamon seeds and bay leaf and cook for a few seconds.
- Stir in the rice, add the salt and water and bring to boil.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, thinly slice the onions and fry in a little oil and a pinch of salt. Once they are golden brown and crisp, drain on kitchen paper, serve with the rice and a little chopped coriander.