Here is my version of a chicken and mushroom pie with a tasty creamy sauce, a delicious and straightforward supper recipe with a side of new potatoes.
- 500g chicken
- 1 garlic clove
- 250g pickling onions
- 250g mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- 150ml dry white wine
- 150ml creme fraiche
- 1 sheet of ready to rolled all-butter puff pastry
- Flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Peel and quarter the onions.
- Finely slice the garlic.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- Add the olive oil to a heavy-based frying pan.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for a few minutes, then add the mushroom.
- You can use chicken breast and thigh fillets for this recipe; cut the chicken fillets into 2.5cm pieces.
- Toss the chicken pieces in seasoned flour.
- Add the chicken to the pan with a bit of extra oil and leave until the chicken starts to colour.
- Pour in the white wine, mix in with the flour and juices. Bring slowly to boil and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get the pastry ready.
- Stir in the creme fraiche to the chicken mix, and bring to boil for a few minutes—season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Take 4 pie pots and use the pie pot top to cut out the puff pastry pie lids.
- Divide the chicken filling between the individual pie pots, add the pastry lid, brush with beaten egg wash, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Empty the pie onto a plate, top with the lid and serve with vegetables of choice and new potatoes.