The scone recipe is from Nigella Lawsons's book "How to be a domestic Goddess." A straightforward method and I agree with Nigella these are the best scones I have ever tasted.
Makes twelve scones
- 6 1/2 crinkle edged round cutter
- Rolling pin
- Large bowl
- Pastry brush
- 1 baking tray lightly greased
- Pre-heat the oven 220 degrees C/ gas mark 7
- Sift flour, bicarbonate and cream of tartar into a bowl.
- Run in the fats until it looks like fine bread crumbs.
- Add all the milk and mix, turn out on a floured surface and knead together to form a ball.
- Gently roll out to 3cm thick.
- Dip the cutter in flour then cut ten scones from the dough, re-roll the leftover dough to make two more scones.
- Place on the greased baking tray close together and brush each one with egg-wash.
- Place in the hot oven for 10 minutes or until they have risen and golden.
- Serve with fresh strawberries, strawberry jam and clotted cream.