I’m already getting ready for Christmas by preparing some delicious homemade pickles. Here is my Grandma’s recipe for pickled red cabbage, which is a great to serve with cold meats, pork pie and cheeses for a Christmas supper.
This pickled red cabbage recipe is quick and easy to make, but the red cabbage needs to be left overnight in salt. Plus you can replace the malt vinegar with apple cider vinegar.
You will need 4 x 250ml or 2 x 500ml sterilised jars
- 1 red cabbage, quartered, core removed and thinly sliced
- 4 level tbsp of salt
For the pickling mix:
- 800ml malt vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp of dark brown sugar
- 1 heaped tsp mustard seeds
- 1 heaped tsp coriander seeds
- 1 heaped tsp of peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Layer the finely shredded cabbage on an extra large serving plate or dish, salting each layer. Leave overnight.
- To create the pickling mix put the vinegar, sugar, spices and bay leaves into a large pan. Bring to the boil for a few minutes, then leave to cool.
- Next day, pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4.
- Put the clean jars in the oven for 10 minutes to sterilise
- Rinse the red cabbage in cold water to remove the salt and pat dry with absorbent kitchen roll.
- Push the red cabbage into the sterilised jars, pour over the pickling mix and leave in a cool place for a few weeks before using.
- Serve at your Christmas supper.