Gooseberries are only in season for a short time in early summer, so it worth using them in an easy to make no-fuss dessert. I sometimes I use them for a gooseberry fool, though this gooseberry crumble is one of my favourites.
Make the crumble topping in advance, just keep it the fridge until it is required. This topping is also excellent with other fruits.
- 130g plain flour
- 20g jumbo oats
- 20g flaked almonds
- 20g chopped nuts
- 75g Muscovado sugar
- pinch of salt
- 100g cold butter
- 500g gooseberries
- 85g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp elderflower cordial (Optional)
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl.
- To make the crumble topping, rub the butter into the flour then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the gooseberries in the sugar and elderflower cordial and arrange in the dish.
- Top with crumble mixture.
- Place in the hot oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.