If your baking never works out as you have planned, here is a simple Victoria sponge cake recipe that seems to work for me.
Use jam for the centre, and for a special treat, add whipped cream and fresh strawberries on top of the jam. Finish off with a dusting of icing sugar.
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or zest of a lemon or orange for flavour
- 1 Punnet of fresh strawberries
- 150ml double cream
- 3-4 tbsp strawberry jam
- Icing sugar for dusting the top
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/350 F/Gas 4
- Line a 23cm (9in) springform tin
- Beat the butter and sugar until a pale creamy colour.
- Add the vanilla or zest.
- Add one egg at a time, to stop the mixture curdling add a spoonful of flour between each egg.
- Fold in the rest of the flour gently.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45minutes in the pre-heated oven.
- The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool
- Cut the cake in half.
- Spread the bottom of the cake with a thin layer of strawberry jam.
- Whip the cream until soft, and slightly thicker, I like to add a tablespoon of icing sugar before whipping the cream.
- Spread the whipped cream over the jam, top with fresh strawberries, sit the top of the cake on top of the berries and dust with a shower icing sugar.
Enjoy! Norah X
Blog Photo Norah Sleep Living