I think of these tropical energy bars from Leroy Roots as my sunshine energy bars as they are the perfect healthy morning snack for work or school to make you smile.
They are also great after a workout session at the gym, plus they are just so easy to make, and they will keep for several days if they last that long.
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 60g dried mango
- 75g rolled porridge oats
- 25g plain flour
- 50g dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 50g pecans
- 50g dates
- 60g dried apricots
- A perfect grating of nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 100g maple syrup
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C or 350°F.
- Lightly brush a 25cm x 25cm cake tin with oil.
- Soak the mango in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the mango and put it into a food processor with all the other ingredients except for the eggs, maple syrup and pumpkin seeds. Pulse until finely chopped, do not overdo it.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add the eggs, maple syrup and pumpkin seeds and mix.
- Transfer to your cake tin and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until light brown.
- Leave to cool then cut into squares and store in an airtight tin.
- These sunrise energy bars will keep fresh for three days.