My husband, Nick, loves hot spicy food. He wants chilli with everything, and this bread is hot, hot, hot! This delicious spicy chilli bread is fantastic with cheese, or for dipping into a favourite hummus. Or, you can serve with simple veggie soup.
Makes 1 loaf
- 225g strong white flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7g fast-action dried yeast
- 210ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 3 teaspoons of dried chilli flakes or chopped fresh red chillies
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or smoked paprika
- Add the flours, salt and yeast to a large bowl ( I add them straight to the bowl of my Kitchenaid mixer) and mix together using your hands or a spoon. Make a well in the centre and pour in the water and oil.
- If you have a mixer, attach the dough hook and set the mixer going on setting #1 for 5 minutes until everything is nicely mixed together, and then turn up to setting #2 for a further 5 minutes until you have a smooth elastic dough. If you haven't got a mixer then mix the ingredients together with a spoon or your hand, and then turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place away from draughts for 1 hour. (I use the airing cupboard).
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Flatten out into a rectangular shape and evenly sprinkle over the chillies and cayenne pepper. Fold up and knead for 3 minutes. Shape into an oval, place onto a piece of baking parchment on a baking tray (or an oiled tray without the parchment) and leave to rest for 5 minutes covered with oiled cling-film.
- Make 5 diagonal cuts using a sharp knife on the top of the loaf. Brush with oil and cover with cling-film. Leave to rise in a warm place away from draughts for 40 minutes.
- Brush the top of the loaf with more oil and bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees C/gas mark 6 for 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack and serve warm with your favourite dips, cheeses or soup.